Data leakage attempts have become one of the most dreaded data security breaches that are continuously evolving in the cyber world. This has become an increasing profession with collaborations to make the profit. This danger of data leakage comes from the internet which has been a vital tool for today’s business infrastructures. Employees around the world still continue to leak data despite the efforts of IT professionals to curtail data leaks.
Data leakage is an unauthorized transfer of classified information from a computer data center to the outside environment. This can be can be carried out by easily remembering what was seen, removal of tapes, disks, and reports or by simply using means such as data hiding.
By simply ignoring or lack of simple, caring task, human monitoring systems can play a primary role in data leakage. Many businesses today have gone wrong by putting so much faith in the reliance on technology alone to secure their data. Preventing data leakages can be a daunting task for establishments and other corporate organizations. This has made us to research and presents you with some tangible procedures that can be used to prevent data leakage.
Before we proceed, when trying to prevent any data from leaking, you have to know your data and manage it well, because the primary aim of data sharing is for sharing information. Therefore, protecting your data begins with an understanding of how people interact with it. For data leakage prevention, the following guides below will go a long way to help.
- Tools and processes that track data movement have to be established. This will help you to know where it is stored or how it is accessed and who is using it. Secondly, you have to identify the type of data that requires a unique protection routine and thirdly always consider new security approaches with tools and capabilities for the next generation of technology is fast evolving.
- Always endeavor to protect your systems using only authorized applications and access method. Maintain and make sure all security software such as Antivirus are all up to date. Make sure all securities settings are respected and enlighten users or third parties in your organization about the dangers of agreeing to or negating a Cisco security agent pop-up. Always have in mind that data leakage is inevitable so that you will always be prepared for spamming, malware, phishing and other methods of attack.
- When working or making use of portable devices, always protect them by keeping them in your possession at all times, or getting them isolated from third party users. It is advisable not to share your work devices, use them for personal activities or forward confidential information from work systems to personal devices. Refrain from accessing inappropriate sites or downloading information that is inappropriate.
- Always use sound passwords creation techniques that are not shared or stored to prevent unauthorized data access when you walk away for a few moments or about to leave for the evening.
- When you are traveling, and it becomes necessary to discuss confidential information, always try to speak softly. It is advisable to use privacy filters that prevent over-the-shoulder viewing. Always avoid using a business printer, unless you are there to pick up the paper.
Preventing data leakage is a challenge for an individual and likewise any business organization. To be successful in overcoming this challenge, IT professional, executives and employees have to get a vivid understanding of the levels of responsibilities involved in preventing data leaks. This knowledge will go a long way in making the fight against data leaks and easy to do act and thereby instilling the idea that data leakage is paramount.