It is necessary to patch your operating system now and then. However, many people ignore this advice. Hackers and other types of cyber criminals can take advantage of security errors in your operating system. They can then successfully attack your accounts and steal your personal details. Therefore, for you to remain safe when online, you need to patch your operating system regularly. Here are three simple things you can do to repair your operating system and remain safe when you are online.
The Three Simple Steps to Patch your Operating System
You will constantly receive messages about the availability of specific patches for your operating system. More so, if you visit the online store of your operating system, you will find a section dedicated to patches. The company that developed your operating system constantly scans the environment to detect the emergence of any new threat. The company then develops specific tools to help you protect your data from instances of a possible security breach.
For you to benefit from this, you have to patch your operating system regularly. In a nutshell, you can successfully patch your operating system by following these three simple steps:
- First, you will have to click on the management option on the patch.
- Next, you have to select the uninstall/install patch option. You can select this option straight from the deployment option of the patch. For the third step, you will have to choose the right operating system and create a configuration which you will destroy.
- This third and final step is the most important one in the process. The following is a detailed explanation of how you can go about this process.
Creating the configuration
Name the configuration
Naming the configuration is the first thing that you will do when creating the configuration. You can name your configuration by providing a name and full description that you will use for the configuration.
Define the configuration
This is the second thing you need to do when creating the configuration as part of the process of patching your operating system. You will have to specify the type of operation as Install. This is important because it will allow you to install the needed patches. Also, to have a successful patching, supply the needed values. Here are the values that you need to supply at this stage.
- Add the patches: If you click “Add More Patches,” it will give you the Patch Browser. From the browser, select the right service packs and the patches you want to apply. Any patch you select here will be automatically installed according to the Installation Options you have selected.
- Scheduler Settings: You can use this setting to specify when you want the patching to start. Some of the options are:
- Install during computer startup: You can use this option too if you want to deploy the patches while the computer starts up.
- Set up during 90 minutes fresh interval: this option is ideal if you want the patches to be installed within 90 minutes after starting the system.
- Install between: sometimes, you may want the installation to take place between a specified period. In that case, you can use this option to specify when you want the installation to proceed. For instance, if you want the installation to happen between 2:00 PM and 6:00 PM, you will have to enter 14.00.00 in the Start Time and 18.00.00 in the End Time. If you do this correctly, your installation will take place at the time that you would have specified. You may have to do this when you do not want the installation process to interfere with your day-to-day activities.
- Deployment Settings: The major settings here are Reboot Policy and Allow Users to Skip Deployment. Interestingly, the Reboot Policy has these options: do not reboot, force reboot when the user has logged in, allow the user to skip reboot and allow the user to skip shutdown. These options are important because you can use them to specify how you would want to patch your operating system.
When you are through with the configuration, installation of the patches will occur as you would have specified. This will leave you with an improved form of protection.
In conclusion, you can successfully install security patches on your operating system by following these three simple steps. Doing so will minimize the chances of losing your privacy or even money to online criminals.