VPN services today are quite popular with everyday users of the internet. VPNs have a lot of uses, like providing security to the user’s data and protecting their identity while they are browsing the internet. These are some of the most sought after and required services in today’s world. Speaking on how to setup VPN on Windows 10, the method of doing so has changed along with many others brought about by Microsoft with Windows 10.
It is quite different from the methods to set up a VPN in Windows 7 and Windows 8. The prerequisite to setting up a VPN connection in Windows 10 is having proper credentials required to access a server. If you do not have the credentials, a VPN connection cannot be set up.
How to setup VPN on Windows 10
After getting the proper credentials you can simply follow these steps on how to setup VPN on Windows 10:
- Log on to Windows 10 PC using the administrator account.
- After logging on as administrator click on the Start button which is located in the bottom-left part of the screen.
- A section will now appear on the left side of your screen. Click on Settings which is under the Places section.
- After this, a window will appear on the screen. There will be different icons in this window like System, Devices. You will then need to click on the Network & Internet icon.
- When you do step 4, the Network & Internet window will open up. Select VPN category from the left pane.
- The VPN category will now open up in the pane on the right. Click on the ‘+’ icon which is for the Add a VPN connection option.
- A form will appear on the screen when you click on Add a VPN connection. Populate the fields with the right values.
- At the end of the form, there will be a checkbox field with the words ‘Remember my sign-in info’ next to it. Make sure you check this field to rid yourself from repeating this process over and over. However, if you are using a public computer, say in an Internet café or a public library, you should not save your sign-in info. It is better not to check the Remember my sign-in infobox field at the end of the form when using a public network for security reasons.
- After successfully setting up your own VPN connection by following steps 1-8 the connection will appear in the right side pane of the VPN option in Network & Internet window. You can now select the VPN that you have created.
- You will see three buttons in the field of your VPN connection. These can be used to connect to that particular VPN using the credentials provided during its creation. They can also be used to remove the connection or to make changes to it with the Properties button.
Apart from how to setup VPN on Windows 10, you can use the Advanced Settings option under the Additional Settings section for other services like managing of the proxy settings and automatic detection. This can be found right below the VPN connection you created. The VPN connection can be established by clicking on the Network icon from the system tray at the bottom right corner of the screen. Proceed as:
- Select Ethernet or Wi-Fi from Network & Internet pane
- Click on Show available connections which are under the Additional settings option
Selecting Wi-Fi or Ethernet properly is important because it depends on the network card responsible for establishing a connection between the Windows 10 PC and the internet.
In this article, we discussed how to setup VPN on Windows 10. Many people were finding it difficult because of the changes introduced. We hope this guide will help you out.