Windows Defender is the built-in anti-spyware application for Windows systems that offers users the basic protection against malware and other threats. Microsoft has been providing this application for a long time, and it offers a minimal protection to users who don’t use any anti-malware tools. However, those who do use other tools often find that Windows defender interferes with the operation of their anti-malware tool or uses resources that slow down your overall system. This can be a real problem if you have a system that requires a fast and efficient operation for your work. Many users, therefore, look to disable Windows Defender from their system. While removing it completely is not possible, you can disable it easily. We’ll tell you how you can do that:
Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
- Click on Start and look for Windows Defender in the Start Menu
- Click on Settings in the window that opens. It can be found on the top right corner
- Navigate to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Defender. You will find two buttons for Real-time protection and Cloud-based protection, both of which will be ‘On’. Simply toggle them ‘Off’ and Windows Defender will be disabled on your Windows 10 system
Disable Windows Defender in Windows 7/8
- Use the Start Menu to open Windows Defender
- Click on Tools that is located on the top menu of the window
- Now you need to click on Options
- In the pane on the left side of the dialogue box, click on Administrator
- There will be a checkbox named ‘Use this program’. Uncheck it and click on Save to disable Windows Defender. A dialogue box will appear confirming this
- Although these steps will disable Windows Defender in Windows 7 or 8, you can make additional changes to be absolutely sure.
- Open Control Panel and navigate to Services. Alternatively, you can enter services.msc in the Start Menu or Run.
- Look for Windows Defender in the list and double-click on it
- A new dialogue box will appear. You will find an option named Startup type in the General tab. Select ‘Disabled’ from the drop-down list to disable the service completely.
If you wish to disable Windows Defender from your Windows system, then you can simply follow these steps. As mentioned above, removing it completely is not possible, but if you wish to disable it to stop it from interfering from your anti-malware or to prevent it from hogging up the resources at start up, you can easily disable windows defender.
We would like to mention that you should only disable windows defender if you have a good anti-malware tool installed on your system for its protection. You can opt for anti-virus like BitDefender, Kaspersky, etc., which offer the best protection for your system. If you don’t use any such anti-virus, then we would recommend that you don’t disable windows defender, for some form of protection is better than no protection at all.